Governor Pritzker signed Executive Order 2020-10 on March 20, 2020. It went into effect at 5:00pm on Saturday, March 21, 2020.
This Executive Order generally requires individuals in Illinois to stay at home, but contains numerous exceptions.
Any businesses qualifying as “Essential Businesses” are permitted to remain open.
The following types of businesses are classified as essential under the order:
1. Healthcare and Public Health Operations
2. Human Services Operations
3. Essential Infrastructure
4. Essential Government Functions
5. Stores that Sell Groceries and Medicine
6. Food, Beverage, and Cannabis Production and Agriculture
7. Organizations that Provide Charitable and Social Services
9. Gas Stations and Businesses Needed for Transportation
10. Financial Institutions
11. Hardware and Supply Stores
12. Critical Trades
13. Mail, Post, Shipping, Logistics, Delivery, and Pick-Up Services
14. Educational Institutions
15. Laundry Services
16. Restaurants for Consumption Off-Premises
17. Supplies to Work from Home
18. Suppliers for Essential Business and Operations
20. Home-Based Care and Services
21. Residential Facilities and Shelters
22. Professional Services
23. Day Care Centers for Employees Exempted by the Executive Order
24. Manufacture, Distribution, and Supply Chain for Critical Products and Industries
25. Critical Labor Union Functions
26. Hotels and Motels
27. Funeral Services
The order describes each of these categories in additional detail.
If a business does not fit directly into the foregoing categories, it may still qualify as an essential business under the following sections: “Supplies to Work from Home” (Section 12(m)), “Supplies for Essential Businesses and Operations” (Section 12(n)), or “Manufacture, Distribution, and Supply Chain for Critical Products and Industries” (Section 12(t)), which all appear to be catch-all provisions.
Note that the Order also imposes social distancing obligations on all individuals and businesses, regardless of whether they are essential (see Section 15).
The following is a link to FAQs published by the State of Illinois: https://www2.illinois.gov/sites/coronavirus/FAQ/Pages/Stay-At-Home-FAQS.aspx
We encourage you to review the Order to assess whether your business qualifies as essential and is thereby exempt from the Order.