Derek M. Johnson
Business Services, Gift, Estate and Fiduciary Taxation, Real Estate, Trust and Estate Administration, Trusts and Estates, Wealth Transfer and Estate Planning
630-221-1755 | email@example.com
- Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law
Chicago, Illinois, 2007
Juris Doctor (with honors)
- University of Wisconsin
Madison, Wisconsin, 2002
B.S. (graduated with Distinction)
Associations & Memberships
- Du Page County Bar Association
Estate Planning, Probate sections
- DuPage County Estate Planning Council
- Illinois State Bar Association
Trusts & Estates section
Real Property section
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Derek M. Johnson is a Director in the Estate Planning Department, focusing in the areas of Wealth Transfer and Estate/Trust Planning, Probate and Trust Administration, Estate and Gift Taxation, Business Organizations and Acquisitions, Real Estate Transactions, and Contract Review and Negotiations.
Derek began his legal career working on a wide range of transactional and litigation matters, including trusts and estate planning, business transactions and litigation, general commercial litigation, and commercial and residential real estate transactions and litigation. As time passed, Derek realized his passion lay in the transactional practice areas of trust and estate planning and administration, corporate law, real estate, and other related areas in which he currently serves his individual and business owner clients. Not one to discount his other legal experience, Derek also relies on the skills he learned as a former litigator in developing sound strategies for representing his clients with an eye toward careful legal drafting and assisting clients in anticipating and avoiding disputes.
Derek was raised in Wheaton and graduated from Wheaton-Warrenville South High School. In 2017, Derek returned to live in Wheaton with his wife, Jami, and their two children. In his free time, Derek enjoys spending time with his family and friends, exercising, reading, and exploring new music. Derek looks forward to meeting and working with you to accomplish your goals.
Representative Published Works
• Accessing a Deceased Loved One’s E-mail and Other “Digital Assets” (Jan. 30, 2019).
• Derek M. Johnson, Debts, Secret Tax Liens, and Other Estate Traps, Illinois Bar Journal, Vol. 106, No. 10 (Oct. 2018).
• Derek M. Johnson, Income Tax Consequences for Probate Estates When Resolving Claims for Less Than the Full Amount,
Illinois State Bar Association, Trusts & Estates Section Newsletter, Vol. 65, No. 3 (Sept. 2018).
• Kimberly S. Coogan, Carrie M. Buddingh & Derek M. Johnson, To Port . . .Or Not To Port?,
DCBA Brief, Vol. 28, Issue 10 (June 2016)
• Derek M. Johnson, Illinois’ Health Care Agency Laws: A Hierarchical Game Of Who’s On First, DCBA Brief, Vol. 25, Issue 6 (March 2013)